Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Welcome to the Diocesan Blog

By Bishop Gerald R. Barnes

First, let me thank your for visiting our new diocesan blog. Those who know me may be surprised to see this. They will tell you that I am not, by nature, a tech-savvy person (and they would be correct). But I also understand that the world does not stand still and there are always new ways of communication that must be undertaken to further our mission of proclaiming the Good News of Jesus Christ. The Holy Father echoed this recently when he launched his own channel on You Tube. He said he wants to encounter people “where they are at.”

So we will follow Pope Benedict’s lead by communicating with you regularly on the Internet. I will check in with postings as often as I can but others in diocesan and parish leadership will share stories and reflections on their ministries in this blog.

For me, this is also a reflection of my desire to reach out to our younger generation, who I know prefers this kind of communication. But it is certainly not only for our youth. For those who yearn to hear more than a Sunday homily or for the person who wants a Catholic perspective on an issue of the day, this blog will be here for you.

Again, I invite you to join us on this electronic journey in faith, and welcome to the diocesan blog.

4 comments:

  1. Fr. Erik EsparzaJune 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

    This is so great to have our Diocesan Blog! I look forward to reading the daily blog as a way to stay more connected to Bishop Barnes and hearing about our many Diocesan activities. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to see the Diocese getting so involved in this whole staying connected thing. What a great way to reach people. I find that it is easier these days to communicate with people through our website & e-mail rather than on the phone or through the mail, reguardless of their age. Hopfully more people join in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful because we have to stay connected with the world. Reality is such that we cannot afford to ignore these different forms of communication. A priest at the Religious Ed Congess recalled -- in speaking about the phenomenon of these web pages i.e. My Space, Facebook, Twitter, etc.-- how the Lord asked his disciples to spread the Gospel. As Christians we have to do likewise in "our" world, with whatever means there are at our disposal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is new to me also, being of mature age not one of the young ones I still like to stay connected. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

We encourage dialogue in the spirit of Christian fellowship, however any offensive, hostile or messages that go beyond the scope of the blog topic will be censored.

Alentamos el diálogo en un espíritu de compañerismo cristiano, sin embargo, cualquier ofensiva, hostil o mensajes que van más del tema del blog será censurado.