Thursday, April 12, 2012

Giving Thanks for Weeds and Things

By Jeanette Arnquist
Director, Ministry of Life, Dignity, Justice

Easter Monday, 2012

It seemed like such a luxury to go out to the back yard this morning and attack the weeds that had sprung up after the rain and were flourishing in the warm sun. It felt good to have the warmer weather, to be able to wear flip flops and shorts and take my time, resting to smell the citrus blossoms and listen to the birds. I was so grateful for this opportunity. God is so good to bless us with these experiences.

This is an important aspect of the Easter season for those Christians in the Northern hemisphere. We have been reminded of the central stories of our faith: the last supper, the passion and death of Jesus and the resurrection at our worship services. On days like this, we are reminded of the renewal of nature and the wonderful season of Spring. After months of cold – well, not really cold except by Southern California standards – the warm days are finally back and new life is everywhere! Some of the new life is in the form of back yard weeds, and I am grateful for them because they give me the excuse I need to waste time out in the sun.

A few weeks ago I bought lambs quarters (it is a vegetable) at market night. I thought it was broccoli rabe. It turns out to be just as delicious and similar in taste. What this has to do with the above is that today, I found this stuff growing in my yard. In years past I had just pulled it up – but today, I noted it as another blessing, and it will be on my table tonight. Thank you God for weeds and other things.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. This is just what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete

We encourage dialogue in the spirit of Christian fellowship, however any offensive, hostile or messages that go beyond the scope of the blog topic will be censored.

Alentamos el diálogo en un espíritu de compañerismo cristiano, sin embargo, cualquier ofensiva, hostil o mensajes que van más del tema del blog será censurado.